Tuesday, April 19, 2011

His mom came home and called up toward the attic for me to come down. His parents were in their bedroom waiting to talk to me. They ask me if I spoke to CK today and I hadn't. They asked me if I needed anything, If I wanted money. I can't accept anything from them. They have been so kind to me. "You can't stay in your room all day." She said. They had questions and wanted to know what happened and whether I saw any signs. I didn't. His parents said that they never saw it coming. If we had been faking for this long then we were doing a great job at it.

His parents talked about how they shield CK from everything bad in his life, if there was an argument, they made sure he didn't see it. He was the trophy child and grandchild. He never saw couples fighting or arguing. He never knew what type of marital problems existed because Chris was never exposed to it. He had no idea what goes on in relationships and that couples do "hack it out." He never saw that. There was no convincing him of anything, right or wrong once he has made up his mind. When Chris says that a conversation is done, it is done. If he doesn't want to talk then there will be no getting through to him.

"He is immature in the matter of relationship and how couples truly are," they said. He doesn't realize that there is no such thing as a perfect relationship, "no two people are alike, you accept my shortcoming and I live with yours" his dad said. CK has been sheltered from all of that. He is a genius in all that he does but has no clue about relationships.

His dad understood me completely. I explained that I was unhappy because I couldn't find a job. He explained that when someone can't find work they tend to get depressed, "you didn't hang out with him and his friends because they were all working and all had something to talk about and talking over you" while you have nothing to contribute. When it turns into years you become more depressed over it. How is it that his dad can understand that but CK couldn't. His parents understood that with so many layoff everywhere it was hard for anyone to find job. His dad understood my emotions completely and why I chose not to hang out with CK and his friends. "If you worked also you would have been able to come home and say 'guess what happened to me at work today'" he was right about it all and I didn't even tell him that.

His mom said that there must be something missing. "Not all of the pieces of the puzzle have fallen" She said. I assure her that I don't know for sure. I told her everything that CK said and I answered honestly to every question she asked. She said that I never hinted anything to her and we talk on the phone, and I talk to her almost everyday. I tell her everything, about when Chris is being an a-hole, when he is grumpy, mean, and anything that he says that I didn't like. She never caught anything out of the ordinary. This was all a shocker to us.

I told her that he said he loved me but wasn't in love with me. She said that it was so soap opera, people always said that on television. Also that people say horrible things when they are under a lot of stress and is angry. I understand that. I told her that CK was unhappy about having no one in his life other than me and his parents, that when we're in NJ I had friends and family to hang out with and he had no one. His mom knew that too, he had expressed the same to her but how was that my fault.

His mom was going to talk to him, not to convince but to tell CK that he has to handle the break up differently. If there is nothing left to salvage then we needed to discuss that, that you can't break up over the phone like that. People often grow apart but this is not how you handle it. She told me that she has been in my shoes many time, "more than she cares to admit" and that you just have to go on with life and learn from this relationship.

I will never accept why CK chose to break up but I have no choice. Like he said, "deal with it." I will just have to deal with it because you can't make someone love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment